The earliest record of a Watton cricket match was reported in the Hertford, Cambridge and Isle of Ely Mercury, dated 8 August 1829 with a win for Watton in a two-innings game 'with three wickets to go down, against eleven from the Tewin Club'. In the 1850s the Cricket Club was known as the Watton & Benington Cricket Club and for many years played at Woodhall House where the Head Butler was a regular player. The pitch on the Meadow (what is now the Sports Field), which was dug out by hand and leveled, has been used since 1910. Recently the Cricket Club has returned to Woodhall Park for its 2nd XI home-fixtures.
The Meadow had its famous ridge (formed to create the cricket table) smoothed out in the 1990s.
Currently, the Cricket Club runs two Saturday-league teams and one Sunday team playing traditional fixtures against local village and touring sides.
In recent years the club has enjoyed success in both league and cup competitions with league promotions in 2001 (1st XI), 2003 (2nd XI), 2006 (1st XI), 2007 (1st XI), 2008 (2nd XI), 2009 (2nd XI) and 2010 (2nd XI) and winning the Hertfordshire Village Trophy in 2005 and 2006.
If you would like to know more about the Cricket Club and its activities, please contact Bob Spinks on 01920 830287
|Hertfordshire Village Trophy Winners 2006||2nd XI Cricket at Heath Mount, Woodhall Park|